1959 Naknek Electric Association Board of Directors
Naknek Electric Association, Inc. was first certified for incorporation by the Territory of Alaska on January 4th, 1949. The original founders included A.R. Davey, Nick Zimin, Florence K. Wassmann, Oscar Brown, James Clemens, Gunnar Berggren, Henry Miller, Mathew Anderson and Louis Harris.
In 1956, the association began conducting preliminary survey work to establish the feasibility of constructing an electric generation plant that would service Naknek, King Salmon and South Naknek.
Melvin Monsen, Jay Hammond and Katherine Ostrosky joined the NEA Board of Directors in 1958 and secured their first loan from the Rural Electrification Administration at a meeting held on August 18, 1959.
The system was energized in December, 1960 and the association was finally able to deliver power to 66 2/3% of the membership in the newly constructed service area. As a result of this successful endeavor, the Board of Directors set the date for the first Annual Membership Meeting in accordance with the Bylaws at a Regular Board Meeting held early in 1961.