Functional Title: Controller
Department: Main Office
Supervisor: General Manager
Subordinates: Accounts Payable, Customer Service Rep, Project Coordinator
Date to Apply: Until Filled
- To ensure daily office functions and procedures are carried out smoothly. Efficiently and professionally.
- To ensure monthly consumer billing is completed on a timely basis.
- To provide all monthly financial reports and meet State and Federal filing requirements.
- To provide all accounting and bookkeeping functions for the associations.
Personnel: all full-time.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensures billing is sent out on a timely basis.
- Evaluates initial meter readings and checks for errors and correctness. Monitors all billing input, final close out of billing period
- Uses sales reports to generate Journal Entries and Sales and Revue data.
- Prepares accounts payable invoices and all vendor billing for computer entry.
- Maintains General Ledger and Subsidiary Ledgers.
- Prepares monthly and financial reports for the General Manager, Board of Directors, State and Federal agencies.
- Reconciles all bank accounts and maintain minimum balances.
- Monitors bank balances daily for possible excess funds to be applied to outstanding loans.
- Reviews completed work orders, assigns labor and overhead charges, and prepared journal Entries for close out and capitalization.
- Possess full knowledge of other positions in office, including software and hardware in order to supervise and train office personnel.
- Prepares annual audit work papers and works directly with audit crew.
- Co-signs Association checks.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Completes sections of the RUS Form 7 annual reports and other reports relating to the utility plant, work orders, materials, special equipment and inventory.
- Codes accounts payable invoices relating to plant, work orders, materials, special equipment, and inventory.
- Invoice consumers for materials, labor contributions, construction, and other costs.
- Inputs inventory receipts and verifies posting of material.
- Prepares outage reports and tracks outage statistics.
- Assists with new service contracts, easements, consumer correspondence, and staking sheets.
- Assist Customer Service Representative with all aspects of collections. Oversee monthly disconnect procedures including notices, telephone calls, and disconnects. Turn accounts over to collection agency as approved by the Board.
- Provide documents requested by auditors and assist auditor as necessary to complete the annual audit and the annual form 990 to the I.R.S
- Maintains all NRECA RS&I personnel records and supplies general information on all issues related to employee benefits.
- Ensure that General Manager and CFO are kept fully informed of any developments beyond normal routine matters at all times, but especially in his/her absence.
- Review inactive accounts list on a monthly basis and write-up adjustments as needed; and review zero usage reports on a monthly basis to look for incorrect or suspicious accounts
- Perform other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Note: The above summary is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. The summary is not intended to be an all inclusive list of the responsibilities, duties, and requirements of this position.
Carries out management responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees and if need be terminate employees all within board policies.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education &/or Experience
A four-year college Degree in Accounting or Business is desirable. Three to five years of previous office Management with supervisory experience necessary. Should possess full charge bookkeeping skills, preferably experience in REA accounting. Must be able to with people and have a high level of self-motivation to learn new skills. Must also have good communications, leadership, and supervisory skills. Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
A driver’s license is needed.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit and talk or hear.
The employee must be prepared for light duty work (lift and/or move up to 20 lbs.) and may occasionally perform medium-duty work (lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.).
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions.
Accepting applications until filled. For an application, you can request it by emailing our service department or pick one up at the office Monday through Friday 8 am until 5 pm.